Treating TMJ Dysfunction in East Patchogue
Some patients require treatment beyond their teeth and gums to smile comfortably. For these individuals, problems related to the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) have a significant effect on their daily life and oral health. At Patchogue and Hampton Family Dental, Dr. Richard Richter uses state-of-the-art technology and treatment options to address issues related to this area of the jaw. From orthodontics to appliance therapy, our practice offers solutions for TMJ pain in East Patchogue and the surrounding communities.
Contact Us Schedule An Appointment
How TMJ Issues Impact Overall Wellness
With chronic jaw pain, walking around and participating in typical activities can be challenging. TMJ issues can advance to the point where the teeth do not line up correctly, preventing a proper bite. Unfortunately, many times, patients don’t receive the treatment they need because they are unaware that TMJ dysfunction is behind their discomfort.
The symptoms most commonly associated with this condition include:
- Severe headaches
- Intermittent, persistent ear pain or ringing
- Clicking or popping in the jaw
- Limited jaw movement
- General pain around the joint, sometimes radiating from the neck and other related muscles
If you are experiencing any of these issues, contact our Patchogue practice as soon as possible. At your consultation visit, Dr. Richter will work with you to understand the problems you’re having and evaluate whether TMJ dysfunction is the source.
Our Options for Relieving TMJ Discomfort
Recognizing the need for effective TMJ treatment, Dr. Richter has researched and incorporated the latest options into our practice. While we may begin with prescribing medications to manage pain symptoms, our goal is to resolve issues altogether. The following are some of the solutions we have available at Patchogue and Hampton Family Dental:
- BOTOX – More than just a treatment for cosmetic concerns, we also offer BOTOX to reduce the strain of muscles affected by TMJ dysfunction. Dr. Richter has both received advanced education and has been a co-instructor for seminars on this therapeutic use of BOTOX. Click here for more information about BOTOX treatment for TMJ.
- Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) – Using a diode laser, our dentist relaxes the jaw muscles and reduces inflammation in the area.
- Gelb Appliance – One of the first splints designed to correct TMJ issues, this appliance balances the bite, encouraging a smoother motion for the jaw and allowing the joint to be situated correctly.
- NTI Splints – Small enough to be worn by patients who have sensitive gag reflexes, these devices fit onto the front teeth and treat migraine pain related to clenching and TMJ problems.
- Orthodontics – Our dentist provides orthodontic treatment to correct poorly positioned teeth and adjust bite alignment, alleviating TMJ issues in much the same way as the Gelb appliance does while also offering the long-term benefits of a straighter smile.
Our dentist believes that obtaining a comprehensive diagnosis and developing a personalized treatment plan is necessary to provide meaningful, lasting relief from TMJ dysfunctions. Before recommending any of the above treatment options, we will take images with our cone beam CT scanner to rule out pathology and arthritis. Dr. Richter will also conduct a full occlusal analysis, checking how your teeth are lined up and function, along with an examination of the associated muscles.
Experiencing Jaw Pain? Call Patchogue and Hampton Family Dental Today!
Dr. Richter finds it very rewarding to help patients enjoy life without jaw discomfort and constant headaches. At our East Patchogue dental practice, we provide comprehensive care for TMJ issues that supports both proper oral health and overall wellness. To learn more about TMJ dysfunctions and the treatment options we have available, contact us today and schedule your consultation!